Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Never say NEVER.

When I was in medical school (especially the very first few years), I remember sharing with my CG in Dublin, that I'd probably never sit in the office 9 to 5, and have to deal with anything else apart from the patients.

I was proven wrong. After I graduated, I had a 9 to 5 job at church for 9 months, before I entered MBTS. Although my work required me to conduct regular visitations to the homes of elderly, homebound church members, minister to them and oversee the church care-takers, I too shared in the administration workload of the church and did loads of adhoc stuff - sitting in the church office, surrounded by your typical office stationery, etc. I learned how to do many things that I never thought necessary to learn - for example using the paper cutter, working on church bulletins, printing, etc. Ah, thank God for such an opportunity, although I must say that God worked on my attitude/character more than anything else. :P

When I finally gave up my medical career for a fulltime Christian vocation, I remember sending all my med books back to KL (I think my dad felt sad seeing them return home) and telling everyone who asked me, "So... what are you going to do with your medical degree?" that I'd be leaving it behind... never to go back there again. Of course, I didn't see medical school as a waste. There was so much I learned there aside from medical knowledge and skills - and God used my time in Dublin and Penang to grow me in many ways, especially in the ministry... I am also thankful that med school has made me a very people-oriented person. But I didn't see what I could really do with my degree, which many point out as 'a waste'. In the past year, I have often wondered myself why I continued studying medicine when I felt called by God in my 2nd med year to a fulltime Christian vocation. While it is true that I respected the counsel of my leaders back at Every Nation Dublin to continue in my studies until I graduated, I still often wonder 'what if' I had left Dublin that year and returned to Malaysia for theological education....

My dad said a very spectacular thing when I first told him that I'd be leaving medicine behind. Of course, he wasn't very sure that I was making the right decision back then, but he was so very insistent that he saw me using my degree to the fullest. (What strong words!) After a while, he had peace about me going to MBTS - but he still occasionally calls me 'Doctor' at home. I secretly hated it - coz it invokes mixed feelings within me each time he does that. Sheeesh.

Additionally, my boyfriend reminds me every now and then, that I ought to be revising my medical knowledge, because I'll never know when God will open a door.

Guess what?

My degree did not go to a waste after all. Firstly, I was able to get into the M.Div program at MBTS because I already possess a first degree.

Secondly... God suddenly opened another door last week. As part of my compulsory duty to the MBTS community, I have been assigned to manage the first-aid and medication kits at MBTS and manage uncomplicated sick/injury cases on campus (haha, with OTC medications:P) whenever I am around at school.

See? Never say never. God's will prevails.

Now I regret sending all my books back to KL. Coz I need to study again.

And... omg. Dad was right after all @_@. Ben as well!

Today, I met up with Dr. Oh (he's a medical practitioner and a part-time lecturer at MBTS) to discuss my duties, as well as the meds stock. So thankful that I am able to liaise with him and sorta get mentored - coz I am currently a little out of touch with medicine already. (It's like drugs... their efficacy start to decline by 10% every year after their expiry dates! My med knowledge slowly seeps out, little by little, as I continue to stuff my head with Bible College stuff). Tee hee.

What he said at the end of our discussion impacted me the most. "It's good for you to be taking on these duties and keeping your medical knowledge fresh and updated. It will come into good use when you do missions."

Hmm. God is so sovereign.

This is how the end of our conversation went...

Me : Thanks so much, Dr. Oh.
Dr. Oh : Ah, it's no problem... Dr. Moo.
Me : Um.... no don't call me that *sheepish grin* ...
Dr. Oh : Well, you are a qualified doctor after all... :)

I am not proud that he said that... but that coming from a doctor who has been in the field for a long time encouraged me indeed.

3 comments:

Kevin Evans Tay said...

never say never, i posted on my fb first or you post this blog first? so ngam~

mozozozo said...

proud of my sis...hahaa...proud of my dad too for his foresight ;)

Grace-Melody Moo said...

Kev: I dunno wor...

Zoey: only by God's grace :)

 

Free Blog Counter