Monday, January 18, 2010

Being girly girl...

Today, I read Paul's first epistle to Timothy ~ 1 Tim 2 - and came across verse 9-10: '...I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.'

I thought that 3:11 was also a good reminder, 'In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.'

...which also reminded me of 1 Peter 3:1-6:

'Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the Word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear...'

The sales are going on everywhere. During times like these, if I happen to pass by any shop with attractive banners and great price markdowns, I, being a girly girl (who is fond of pretty things) would have an almost irresistable urge to run into the shop and dip my hands into the piles of merchandises just like every other lady in the shop. Run my hands over the pretty shoes. Admire the bags. Gape at the accessories. And as I do that, tell myself firmly... "Just looking... Just looking... Not buying anything..."

But all too soon, I'd get depressed that I can't really afford to buy anything. Then, leave the shop looking defeated. Yeah, it happens ALL the time. Haha, duh.

So guess what? I haven't been window-shopping for some time already - since the year began. Learning to be contented with what I already have in my wardrobe has been challenging, but rewarding. More time for prayer and quality time with people, more contentment and less temptations. (Ooops, I forgot - I stole 2 tops from my sister's stash when I was back in KL - with her permission of course - and the tops are neatly folded in my wardrobe in Penang now! :D)

In addition to that, I'd like to continue to grow in these aspects this year:

1. godliness - the purity and reverence of my life
2. gentleness and quietness of the spirit - i.e. inner beauty of great worth in God's sight
3. good deeds - appropriate for women who profess to worship God

I've seen women who focus little on clothes, make-up, shoes and bags (I am not saying that they do not engage in daily basic skincare and fitness routines - I think all of us should) - but spend much of their lives in the presence of God, immersing in earnest prayer for others... I want what they have. The godly woman exudes quiet confidence in the Lord, bears a face that glows and stands out amongst a crowd (and she is not even conscious of it), sweet gentleness that doesn't diminish with age, speech seasoned with grace, joyful laughter and the attractiveness that cannot be surpassed by even the most well-dressed lady in the room.

Sisters, let us seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness... and all these things shall be added unto us! :)

1 comments:

Lydia said...

Thanks for the reminder grace :) I like this post!

 

Free Blog Counter