Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hope...

'Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup;
You have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.'

(Psalm 16:5-8)

Today, I feel slightly better. Even though I can't run away from my work. And I slept, but still woke up. @_@

Today, one vivid thought runs through my mind.

Parents, please be more mindful of and responsible with the words you choose to speak over your children's lives. Words either build up or destroy. The words of today can make OR break a child's tomorrow.

One ministry God has privileged me to do especially in the past few years is one that reaches out to girls and young women with eating disorders and certain few other psychological/psychiatric conditions. (I use the word 'privileged' because it was not something that I had planned to do on my own or have been that faithful at... but God made it grow somehow.) One of the many aspects a considerable number of these precious people have in common is a lifetime of enduring spoken words of condemnation, judgement and rejection, as well as curses, rained down upon them - right out of the very mouths of their parents.

Especially mothers. Girls naturally look up to their mothers as role models, more than their dads. It's tough not having a low self-image, if you are constantly ridiculed and rejected by the one you look up to.

Of course, there could be many reasons why earthly moms do that. Sometimes it could be pure carelessness and words were spoken out of irritation or frustration. Even the most well-meaning words spoken in an uncontrolled manner, in such context and mood, can wound deeply. Such wounds stay silently embedded and hidden, but they can take a long time to heal - in many cases, years. Sometimes, moms lash out because they think that such words have a potential to discipline and change us for good. However, this is far from the best way. Even the Bible says that, 'It is God's kindness that leads us to repentance.' (Rom 2:4)

Often, it is due to mom's own insecurities, fears and low self-esteem - all of which she could be pretty unconscious of. So, a note to girls who are going through a very difficult time with such conditions at home - please do try to understand mom and forgive her. I know it's really hard. I've had my own share of trials, of which I won't share today. But please try. Pray for your moms if you are able to - they need to know of God's wholesome love themselves - that they too may be emotionally healed.

There are girls who grew up in abusive homes too. I don't only mean that they have been verbally abused... but physically abused too. And it's all very sad and real.

In contrast, I do know of girls whose parents are supportive and loving. These people often walk much shorter roads to recovery and healing from eating disorders, if they do have one. A strong, close-knitted, loving family, whereby healthy family relationships are initiated, cultivated, maintained and prioritized, is an important key to healthy self-image development in children - and these children eventually grow up into confident adults.

2 comments:

Pig said...

Hmm..dunno which side should I stand to comment this post. But I feel what you are saying because I'm right there; been there, heard that, felt that, hated that, resented that, hurt by that, and still going through all that. Honestly, I tried to pray for her but it's the silent wounds that will always emerge and make things very difficult to even utter. I feel so shattered and just don't know how else to lift up my feet and move on. I think I may have chosen to "avoid" and to "runaway".

Dunno what I'm saying dy. I just want to say I can relate to it.

Grace-Melody Moo said...

I feel you.

 

Free Blog Counter