Friday, August 28, 2009

Back from mission trip...

East Malaysia's famous and yummy Talab fruit...

Youth service in SBC on Sunday
Girl-talk with the youth (girls)...
Me and Jacklyn :)
Kampung Paris, Lahad Datu...

I have too many pictures to show and tell... If you want to see everything, please go to my Facebook photoalbum...

Safe and sound...back in KL.

A little on the full side, even though it's already 3.10am (yeah, I'm doing a big batch of laundry before returning to Penang tomorrow...or, later today actually!) - thanks to Kevin's dessert-eating trip. @_@

If you are wondering what that's all about....

Today, the rest of the team went back on an earlier flight - I was left behind in Sandakan till the evening. At first, I was panicking a little - because I had no idea what I'd be doing for the rest of the day... but I guess God made all things work together for good. Joined the youths at SBC for their worship practice, had lunch with them... then Kevin brought Joshua (one of the youth) and I around Sandakan for dessert at his time-tested dessert hot-spots. Traditional and contemporary! You know girls always say that there is a special compartment in their stomachs reserved for that... yeah, mine was filled to the brim... and beyond :P What with Kevin's persistent "Wait.... I know what to bring you to try...." I spent the whole afternoon today eating. Eating. Eating. Eating....

In the end we were 3 very over-stuffed people with bloated tummies, lolling around on the couches of Jesselton Cafe, gawking uneasily at the unfinished cheesy cheese cake and carrot cheese cake...*burrrrp* Well, actually 4... because Louis (another brother) joined us. We were so full that we didn't manage to eat dinner, which was just as well. (I would have puked out all the dessert for the afternoon!) I thought it was very sweet to have my brothers-in-Christ to sit with me and entertain me the whole afternoon with their hilarious, belly-aching humorous stories, till it was time for me to go to the airport. Thought I'd be going online alone in a cafe the whole afternoon...

From left to right: Louis, me, Joshua, Kevin

(Note: Someone boldly hinted to me today, that I should stop it with the grandma, geeky glasses already...:P ~ umm, I totally agree wor, but I'm actually very lazy to put on my contact lenses nowadays...)

So people back in Penang, don't be surprised if I come back from a mission trip looking a little rounder than I should be...:P I promise you, I worked hard...and stayed in an ulu kampung too. But I just got very well-fed in the past 2 days...

It has been an awesome time of witnessing God's work and glory amongst His people in a foreign land I've grown to love, after spending a whole week in it. I was surely tired and all - under the weather and sick too; but more than anything I feel refreshed. It has been very satisfying to engage all body, mind, soul and strength into serving the Lord (even some things were definitely alot less than pleasant! Eeeeks)... Sometimes I used to wonder why the Lord placed me in this team - I felt a little out-of-place in the beginning, because I was one of the latest people to join the team...but as His plans unfolded in the past week or so, they were all sweet revelations to me... Such a assuring reminder to me to know that He holds my life tightly in the palm of His hand. There were things which I've never imagined myself doing in the past - but the Lord somehow brought them to pass. Things I've never thought I'd achieved, but He made them all possible by His grace and strength. Boldness I never knew I had, but He made me confident. Things I've learnt that I can never have learned if I had tried on my own. I can't fathom it all...

Spent the 2.5 hours on my flight home with my eyes tightly shut, thinking of the flurry of events that have taken place in the past week, remembering the faces of people, remembering what people have said, those hands I've touched, the ministry work God has adequately done through our inadequacies, what I've rediscovered about myself (I've kinda lost myself a lil' in the past year or so), etc...

What a beautiful, blessed mission-trip!!!

Bus-ride back to Penang tomorrow (or today:P)...

2 comments:

Kevin Evans Tay said...

thanks for the sharing, i don't mind bringing people around for MAKAN. hahaha... but the disadvantage is that i'll gain weight too T_T

By Faith I pray said...

Hey, chance upon your blog recently and have been reading it =) just thought of letting you know that your blog have been a great encouragement, seeing how you have strived towards a lovingr elationship with God! May you and your blog continue to shine for the Lord! =)

 

Free Blog Counter