Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday: Evening

My second post for the day... *Grins sheepishly*

I guess I'm running out of brain juice for my assignment. I've finished 4 out of 5 pages of the first one. I still need to think of a suitable conclusion for it.

Started reading Pastor Edmund Chan's book. It is really good. But I'll try to go through the book slowly, instead of gobbling up its contents like I usually do with the books that land themselves in my hands. This is because I have to finish reading another book for my written assignments - and I am kinda tied for time.

Had a restful, but also fruitful Monday! Quiet time, homework, my house is squeaking clean (I can probably eat off the floor now), and my laundry's all done...

Contructed my annual faith-list today. It's a list of what I am praying and believing God for, especially in the months ahead - and I've found faith-lists to be very helpful for two reasons: One, I remember to pray for the things regularly - and two, I tick off the prayers when they have been answered, which gives me an indescribable sense of joy and reminds me that God is more than able to answer the other prayers too - albeit in His own way. (Things don't always turn out the way I expect them to, but God's knows best how to work with my circumstances).

I also read today a very touching passage from the Bible - the last part of 2 Timothy (chapter 4:16:18), where Paul wrote this: "At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength that through me, the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom. To Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen."

How gracious Paul was to pardon those who deserted him. (Even some of his fellow believers) "May it not be held against them..." I believe it was the strength that fruited from the joy and peace he had in the Lord to deliver him, which enabled him to endure and forgive. It was perhaps also the reflection upon the Lord's kindness when Paul encountered Him on the road to Damascus years ago and His mercy that brought him to repentance, that had led him to recoil from his hurts. Why do we find it so difficult to forgive others when they hurt us (intentionally or non-intentionally)? Why do we hold on so tightly to our right to be angry that we forfeit the peace that could be ours when we give it up to the Lord? Yes, it is normal to feel betrayed and hurt when people wrong us, but must we let these evolve into the kind of bitterness that transforms us into hardened, cynical and revengeful beings?

Let us remember the words of Christ, who cried out to the Father for our sakes, "Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing..." and was crucified for our sins. If anyone had the right to be angry, it was God. But what a portrait of forgiveness and compassionate love! Can we say of the sins of others that naught can wash them away when Jesus did come to die for the world?

Brothers and sisters, we can all afford to love and forgive, as Christ first loved us. Give up your hurts to Him, who comforts and encourages.

I haven't begun on my Cantonese-testimony yet:P I'll get to it after the Korean Praise concert this Saturday. Too much work on hand.

Just consumed a cup of hot chocolate and a packet of Iko biscuits. Time for bed. Goodnight folks!!!

1 comments:

Lydia said...

Grace, i felt this whole entry was written for me. "When people wrong us, we must not be hardened, cynical and revengeful beings instead forgive them for they do not know what they are doing. If anyone had the right to be angry, it was God. To love and to forgive."

This evening, i found out someone cheated my money by being very dishonest. No guilt conscious and i really felt like confronting the person. Will let you know in details lar..

Pray for me, i find it hard to forget the incident, she tried to cheat me twice and i cant say plss dont cheat me coz i already paid for the whole program. She purposely deduct the lessons from the computer system thinking i wouldnt notice. Arghh.... I so geram and beh kamuan now!!!

Lord, Can you please help me forgive her!!

 

Free Blog Counter