Friday, April 24, 2009

Sweet April Rain...

Really pleased about the rain in Penang! At long, long last. In fact, the whole of the last 2 weeks, it's been raining on and off. What a relief for our people. Especially for people like me, who have problems dealing with the heat and eczema. (Boy, I miss Dublin's cool weather!)

Today, I thought it was pretty exciting to drive down Greenlane, with the bright, stark yellow flowers from the canopy of ancient trees lining up alongside the road pelting my car left, right, centre - along with the gigantic rain-drops! A little romantic even... hehe. (Though I do hope nobody will pelt me with yellow flowers on my wedding day!) Extremely beautiful...

I had this very random thought up in my head while driving through the shower of yellow flowers - why did God have to make those flowers so yellow? (I'm serious. They were super yellow!) I felt extremely blessed that I could tell that the flowers were yellow:P ~ Some people can't even make out the colour yellow. They wouldn't be able to enjoy its bright summery hue like we do then.

It's also amazing that God knows every flower that fell from its tree and pelted my car. To me, it all looks the same. Tiny yellow flowers. But to Him, they are all unique. They may have the same number of petals... but every petal has its own unique fingerprint of shape and size. The same goes for the ancient trees they fell from. Every tree has the same kind of trunk, same kind of leaves, same kind of flowers... but they are so different in so many ways. Firstly, they again come in different shapes and sizes. Then the patterns on every tree bark are different too. The way their roots 'menjalar' on the ground - different! But they are such beautiful trees. And no tree says to its neighbour btw, "Hey, why can't I be as tall as you?!?"

If every tree and flower is special to the Lord (I'm sure He enjoys them to a much greater extent than I ever can), then what more for us, human beings whom He created in His image?:)

He made each and everyone of us special. Each of us for a unique, divine high purpose.

So why do we try so hard sometimes to be replicas of others, when we can be the most authentic being our very selves? If you are a Grace, be the very best Grace you can be. If you are a Jillian, be the very best Jillian you can be. If you are a Bobby, be the very best Bobby you can be.

Why do we try so hard to be what we are not?

What a mystery.

Anyway, here's something not so cool about the rain... our church carpark gets flooded...
...then the road in front of church gets congested, coz the cars would then have to weave their way slowly through the waters to avoid water going up into the engines.

Meeting up with Ben later for dinner (I am very hungry already - snacked on crackers while typing this), then we are going to Giant Hypermarket after dinner to see if we can get him a sleeping bag for our CG retreat tomorrow. He's the chosen one to camp out in the apartment's living room tomorrow night while everybody else sleeps in the rooms.

Have a great weekend, guys!

2 comments:

Pig said...

BTW, i do have sleeping bags if Ben wants any! :)

tairvlyn said...

aiyah, i didnt know Ben was looking for one. Mell does have a sleeping bag too, and she did mention she'll bring it... no need for Ben to buy leh...

 

Free Blog Counter