Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pictures and the thing we call 'romance'...

Random...
Had a haircut on Friday, just to zap some stress (and trim off some unruly ends). I ended up with a fringe that still traumatizes me a little at the moment...So much for experimenting. I look like a school-girl :P But who knows... Next time, I will perhaps try cutting a straight fringe in front. Hehe.

Anyway... some piccies taken during our visit to Fisherman's Grill in Sg. Ara. We had wanted to go there for quite some time now...but we were afraid that the food might be a little too pricey. Finally braved ourselves to eat there on Saturday. (Also to celebrate something between Ben and I.) The prices were not that bad... the food was all right and the soup was fantabulous!
Here's Ben admiring the cool interior deco's of the restaurant.
Quite creative lighting... I loved the fisherman's nets that held up the 'balls' of lights!
Say, "Hungreeeeeeeeee......................."
Nice juice that came in the set lunch

Garlic bread for our soup. (I only wish that they could have been more generous with this:))
Me and my beloved... :')
The most delicious cream-of-chicken-soup I've ever eaten. The garlic bread went nicely with it.
I want more! :/

My Thai-chilli fish. Not bad. I didn't really take to the chips though. They were a little tasteless.
And oh....I must so RAVE about this dessert. Sour plum with vanilla ice-cream. Heavenly!


Anyway, yups... I came to my own conclusions this weekend about romance. You know how girls are always so attracted to romance novels, dramas and movies (stuff that bring sweet smiles to our faces and make us go, "Wowwww, if only...") while guys are often not? :P I think those stories often give the wrong impressions to girls on what romance is. It makes us expect too much from the guys (a.k.a our boyfriends and husbands), we tend to equate our idea of romance with love, and then we get awfully disappointed when they do not 'romance' us the way we thought they should. (I know this - being woman myself :P - I sometimes get disillusioned watching such movies - and therefore, I've cut them out pretty much of my 'movies diet') I've heard some of my girl-friends saying that they will not marry if their boyfriend is unable to propose in a right manner (and what is that?) and give them diamond rings. I've also heard many complain that their boyfriends are not 'romantic enough', boring and 'kayu'. It's quite scary (even to me) what some expect of their boyfriends and husbands. Putting myself in the shoes of the men - I think I would be very pressured and intimidated.

In actual fact, movies almost never present what happens after the 'happily-ever-after' wedding. Movies on courtship are usually full of romance. There are just so many ways a man can propose to his beloved - and it feels so 'warm' and 'awwww....sweet' watching such scenes - especially after the plot of the story has taken us through crazy twists and turns, whereby the relationship is at stake. But most of the movies I've watched featuring married couples center on divorce and often, a brood of confused, insecure children.

Here, I am not saying that romance is wrong - or that we shouldn't want our men to romance us. Romance indeed adds spice to a marriage. But we've got to realize that 'romance' does not often happen the way we expect it to happen. Sometimes, it would be difficult to be romantic especially when a conflict is brewing in the air or when kids are on the loose. But love, acceptance, good communication, strong friendship, generosity and faithfulness (and I believe with all my heart... God above all) - are the things that will keep a marriage/courtship going. Not romance per se.

For me, I truly appreciate it when Ben and I have the time do simple things together - having a meal (even if it's just at the hawker's stall), catching a movie, walking on the beach and watching the waves crash into the shore, revamping my house, grocery-shopping, etc. Romance doesn't need to be extra costly or demand intricate plans all the time. Spontaneity is romantic too. Sometimes Ben pays me surprise visits when I least expect it and brings me dinner (like the other day, when I was too busy with assignments to care about food)...or we throw in something extra special once in a while. But what touches my heart the most is when he lovingly holds my hand and tells me, with that most gracious look in his eyes (that surpasses all my weaknesses), that I am beautiful and that he loves me. :) Or when we sit down to pray and discuss God's Word together. Or when he calls me to say goodnight.

Romance is beautiful when we do not place unrealistic expectations on the other half to romance us. Romance unexpected is romance indeed.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

AWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....Cannot stop awwww-ing! Thank you for such reminders coz i'm such a hopelessly romantic person! :)

Thumbs up dear! :)

weelyn said...

aawwww.....such a sweet, touching & loving post... love it! :)

that sour plum dessert looks very tempting... mmmmm...

Pig said...

triple AaaaaWWWwwwwwWWWWWWwwww!!! So sweeettt!! I mean u & Ben..not the sour plum dessert :P Hehe.

Hmm...now I'm all curious about that "celebration" :P Hope I don't have to wait till Apr 30 to have that revealed :P

 

Free Blog Counter