Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A little bit of explaining...

Yesterday, I received a shocking bit of rumor about myself from a sister-in-Christ, who was rather discouraged about it herself...

"Grace Moo can afford to go to Poland, because her family is rich... and she has alot of contacts..."

Woah... *speechless* Firstly, this is the first time ever I've been known to be from a rich family. While I am a little flattered and half-sad that I look that way (if I do), NO, I am obviously not rich. At least not with earthly treasures and wealth. If you knew how my pockets are filled every month, if you've seen the place I now live at (reading my stalker-stories, you should get an idea...), if you knew how my family struggled to put me through the first part of my tertiary education (i.e. med school), etc - you would surely give glory to God.

Yes, perhaps I am rich...but like a brother, Kevin, said to me yesterday, "...in God we are rich..."

Secondly, it shows that you do not know me well - whoever you may be. I may have alot of contacts, but it doesn't mean that all my contacts could afford to contribute to my missions fund. In fact, many of my contacts are so distant (physically and relationship-wise), that I wouldn't even feel comfortable telling them about my needs... and many others are full-time ministry workers themselves, with similar struggles concerning financial support as myself. And no, I didn't email my contacts for money, go around asking for money or give out donation cards, like how we used to raise funds in school. I could have earned the money, but I didn't have the time to do so. I only asked for prayer... and of course, welcomed contributions from anyone who felt led to give. Most of the fund is made up of collected angpows this Chinese New Year (5% of the fund) and random love-gifts from closer circle of brothers and sisters in Christ, who knew that I couldn't afford to do it all by myself - what with my having to save up money for the upcoming months of living expenses and school fees. My beloved covenant sisters in Singapore and US, - Ji, Laura and Jia Lin - also generously blessed me - we support one another on regular basis anyway. Of course, there were a few people that I didn't know very well, who graciously contributed. Probably took them alot of faith. So there you go again, something else to give glory to God for... right?

I am more sad than anything, that this person who told that sister-in-Christ (who is waiting on God for provisions for the mission trip she would be undertaking) this yesterday, failed to see how this would discourage and affect her.

I mean, imagine... if you were waiting on God for provisions, and someone else were to tell you that it is unlikely that it would be so easy for you - because A is different from you, i.e. she is from a rich family and she has so many contacts (when that isn't even half true)... how discouraged would you feel? :( I know I would be discouraged, even though I know at the back of my mind that if it was God who has called me to this mission trip, He would provide all my needs.

People, we've got to watch the words that proceed from our mouths. May those be only edifying ones, which draw others to trust in God.

0 comments:

 

Free Blog Counter