Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday ~ 3-2-10

I haven't been sleeping very well for the past few nights.

Perhaps it's the hot climate in Penang approaching Chinese New Year. Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with a pounding heart - for no apparent reason and felt uncomfortably warm in bed. Listened to the dogs howling and barking in the distance too. Thought I was late for school - but it was only 2.30am. Um, did something happen and I missed it? I had no problem going back to sleep though...

Needless to say, I was drooping in OT Survey class - not to mention I fell asleep countless times too. In front of Pst. Mark :P Hehe. This time, sorry... Minty Mints did not help. @_@'

Today's 'test' on the ancient civillizations of the ANE went well, praise God.

Today's reflection....

Pst. Mark said something in class that made me think alot. How come there were so many more multi-talented people in the past when the technology was much simpler and there were considerably much less books to read? It was interesting to note that education before focused much more on well-rounded enrichment of humanity... while today, education is mainly aimed at increasing functionality of any given person.

Take for example - literature. In the past, people studied it not necessarily so that it would give them better jobs or higher social statuses. Many studied poetry for the sake of appreciating the art in which language is used for its aesthetic and evocative qualities, in addition or in lieu of its apparent meaning, as well as the different styles, forms and techniques from diverse cultures and languages. In contrast, many (no, I don't mean all) of today's generation balk at the idea of studying literature and poetry beyond what is found in our high school/junior college syllabuses. They argue that it would not help them in their chosen career-paths. "Let us take up a course whereby the knowledge obtained can be applied in our jobs! We don't have all that time!" they cry. Unless you want to go into this field in the future, you are probably not very likely to major in literature. Or any form of art for that matter.

Such focus on functionality is very good. But is it necessarily sufficient?

Another great example - medicine. In the past, many studied medicine without necessarily using it as a mainstream career - but rather as an enrichment to their vocations (eg. Leonardo Da Vinci). Today, the expected career path of a medical school graduate is housemanship - leading on to MO-ship, and so on. Step out of it... and you've got a whole throng of people talking behind your back and doubting your rationality. "What a waste!" they exclaim. Having gone through all that, I am even more convinced of the changed roles of education in today's society...

... and not to mention concerned at the quality of education my children will be getting in the future.

A visit to a local bookstore the other day with a friend to purchase some teaching supplies (for ministry purposes) had me rather appalled. I browsed through quite a few English textbooks/reference books on the shelves (not necessarily local) - and was shocked to see how exam-oriented they have become. What happened to fun and creativity in learning?

Gosh, I pray that I have the wisdom, determination, strength and creativity (when I am a mother) to expose my children to well-rounded development of their humanity/beings. Not merely to focus on good academic performance in school - but more importantly, to bring them up in the ways of the Lord, to help them appreciate art as my parents graciously did with us... and to nurture their talents and gifts that they would be instruments of service in God's Kingdom. I want to be a fun mom, one who does things with a difference and a godly influence to my kids.

Make me faithful, Lord.

0 comments:

 

Free Blog Counter