Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All boxed and wrapped up...


I am seriously not done... my house is in a mess... but I hope to get all wrapped by tonight.

Writing a card to my dad today made me miss him more...

I thank God for a great dad.

He's the sort of dad who works hard to make our dreams come true...even if it means dying to himself.

I remember when we were younger, Zoey and I would ask if we could go for a family vacation during our school holidays... and dad would often make time in the midst of his busy work schedules, just so that we could have the vacation we longed for. We'd drive off somewhere for 3 days and 2 nights, stay in comfy hotels, eat great food, do crazy stuff, visit tourists' attractions and etc. I never knew what a sacrifice it was for my dad to 'wave his magic wand' and make our dreams come true with his single-income - till I started planning my own vacations.

Looking back, those times seemed like dreams indeed. I feel like I've lived 2 completely different lives! I can't imagine now, that I have had such luxuries before. LOL. But oh well, I'm glad and thankful to have tasted it.

You can say that we never found ourselves in any lack of need, as kids. We had food to eat, clothes to wear, we went to good schools, our parents sent us for music lessons, art lessons...and all kinds of other lessons (their way of an all-rounded upbringing and love language, I think), we had family vacations at least twice a year, etc. I think I was pretty spoilt in this sense :P - I cried when dad finally stepped out of his GM job, and decided to work on his own - making ends meet by being an insurance agent, will-writing agent, selling stuff-which-I-can't-remember-what, etc. Monthly expenses had to be cut down drastically and things were never quite the same anymore. We had to be content with a much simpler life - but I am thankful for that actually, coz I learned that we do not need to have so many luxuries to be happy. Happiness is where love abounds. If only my parents' marriage could have been a bit happier... but at any rate, they still loved us very much. While they didn't always speak our love languages, we saw them sincerely and earnestly speaking their own love languages to us, loving us in their own special ways... and that sufficed. I cherish that as a blessing from God.

ED's, mum's demise, my college days and RCSI. Dad made sure that we were able to study and get through the challenges of life without being burdened by the issue of finances.

Then of course...when our finances crashed in year 2004, dad continued to fund me through medical school even though it was extremely difficult and he was terribly exhausted. I am so glad that he found the LORD through this... and yes, by God's grace, he persevered - and I graduated with no debts. (Praise God that He continues to provide for my dad, and Zoey is able to study in UK this year, and my dad doesn't need to live like he used to do when I was in Dublin.)

Dad, thank you for not giving up. It must have been another great sacrifice to release me to full-time church ministry, when we both found out that I would not follow the expected path of a medical student after graduation. Thank you for affirming me in my calling and supporting me all the way. When things get tough, I praise God that I am able to think of home and have peace. While you've always made my dreams come true, I realize that I may not be able to make all your dreams come true... And yet, my hope and prayer is that you will be truly filled with joy... and liberated when you see God's purposes fulfilled in my life - abundantly and exceedingly more than you could ever ask or imagine. Blessed Christmas.

I love you, dad.

2 comments:

Pig said...

*teary eyed*...


Pressies are all wrapped so nicely. I'm very sure everyone who received them will lovitt! :D

Have a great Christmas!!

weelyn said...

aww...so touching...praise God for loving fathers.

have a wonderful Christmas & a blessed holiday spent back home :)

@pig : are u dropping a "BIG HINT" here? kekeke :D

 

Free Blog Counter