Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Little joys of living in a "high-density" block

I live in a low-cost, high-density block of flats.It is a glimpse of "One Malaysia" for you. Regardless of our races, we still exchange smiles in the elevators, greet each other at the mamak stalls downstairs, chuckle at one another's babies and such. In many ways, I am glad that I am not just surrounded by the people of my own kind. Because I still feel "alien" as a Chinese here in Penang, not being able to understand and fluently speak their local dialect - Hokkien... except if it is anything pertaining to food. Haha. *Sheepish grin*

We are also surrounded by much religious activity. Most of my neighbors are either the Muslims whose prayers are loudly proclaimed through the Surau's loud-speakers... or the Taoists whose temple glows fiery red in the dark of the night... or the Hindus who ring bells and burn incense as their way of devotion. Then of course, there is a handful of us that fit into the category "D.L.L" (dan lain-lain) - Christians, Jehovah Witnesses, etc. Perhaps there are more Christians in my block than I can really tell. However, it is sad... we hardly see one another around.


Anyway...

Last night, I went into my little room, closed the door - and sat upon my bed while giving out a loud sigh and complaining to the Lord about something on my heart. I cannot remember what I said exactly - but it must have been something along the lines of "...O God, please tell me where I am going..." Perhaps, I was not quite as meek - it could also have been, "O God, open a door, PLEASE!"

Silence was the answer. After that little rant, I began reading my book.

A moment later, an unknown male voice began singing out of the blue. I couldn't decipher the words - it must not have been in English. Now, usually, I just ignore the voices I hear - because I don't like eaves-dropping on my neighbors' conversations (and quarrels)! But yesterday night, I felt that I HAD to listen to the tune properly. So I sat very still. To my surprise, it was a tune I knew - the melody of the hymn, "He Leadeth Me".

Of course it was in another language. But I recognized the hymn! I was amazed! Ran out of my room and tried to make out where the voice came from - but it grew fainter - so I returned to my room - and continued to enjoy the rest of the singing! :D

I couldn't remember on the spot what the hymn conveyed, so looked it up in my hymnal. These were its lyrics in English:

He leadeth me! O blessed thought,
O words with heav'nly comfort fraught;
Whate'er I do, where'er I be,
Still 'tis Christ's hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me! He leadeth me!
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes 'mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden's bowers bloom,
By waters still, o'er troubled sea,
Still 'tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would clasp Thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur or repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since it is Thou that leadest me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When, by Thy grace, the vict'ry's won,
E'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
Since Thou in triumph leadest me.


As you can probably imagine, I went back to my room very, very encouraged and comforted. I don't think it was a co-incidence, because I have lived in this house for close to 3 years now- quarrels I have heard, ABRSM piano songs I have heard - but a hymn in the night I have NEVER heard. Such sweet and beautiful words my Lord brings me in my time of confusion and trial!

I wonder if that brother in Christ knew that his randomness would bless and encourage me. Perhaps, he had felt led by the Lord to burst into such jubilant singing! :) Or he too, like me, could have been greatly needing the Lord's leading in his life - and was singing the hymn as a song of faith unto Him.

God lives, I tell you! And I am assured that He loves me so.

3 comments:

mozozozo said...

what language was he singing in,do you know?

Grace-Melody Moo said...

I think Mandarin :)

mozozozo said...

nice... :) would be quite cool one day if you were just playing that song on the keyboard, then you hear him singing along to the music in his language...

 

Free Blog Counter