Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday

Geography lessons today by Mr. KC Wong were very refreshing. At least, the Old Testament seems more alive and exciting now. When we study the geography of the land and the Jewish cultures in those biblical times, it enables us to understand why certain things sounded so odd and unfathomable in the OT history.

For example, have you ever thought of why God said to the Israelites in Exodus 23:19b - "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk...?"

This was the way their pagan gods (especially those whom they prayed to for rain) used to be worshipped in those days. By cooking a young goat in its mother's milk and serving it to the rain gods as an offering - so that their prayers for rain could be answered - or their crops and lifestock would die. The famine would follow.

By saying that, God prohibited the Israelites from worshipping Him the same way as they used to for the pagan gods - instead in verse 23:19a, they were to bring the best of the firstfruits of the soil to the house of the LORD our God - and know that "the LORD our God, the Lord is one..." (Deut 6:4) and that He was the One who would bring them rain and provide all their needs - not the idols they worshipped.

I think, God's ways are so beautiful and fascinating indeed.

We have 2 exams next week. One for OT Survey 1... and one for Biblical background. The lecturers love calling 'em 'tests'... but let's face it. It is just a way of disguising them to sound less threatening and scary :P EXAMS, all of them!

How quickly the week pasts. Tomorrow's already Thursday... and then Friday will follow.

I want to praise God for the good grade I just received for the 'Church Planting and Church Growth' term paper I handed up last year. I was very confused and frustrated planning the church plant :P - I don't know how some people completed it so quickly and handed it up long before I did... hehe. But oh well, thank God that it all ended well!

Last night, I was sad and worried about something. Today, I am gonna try my best to fix my eyes on God and trust Him again. Thanks for praying, Kevin T.

0 comments:

 

Free Blog Counter