Thursday, March 26, 2009

There's always a first for everything

One inconvenient thing about having a job that requires you to move around Penang during the day when everyone else is busy working in their respective offices - is this...

My car broke-down this afternoon.... and I had to deal with it on my own!:P

The funny thing about it (and maybe fortunate too!) was that it broke down in my own basement.

I panicked a fair bit at first... Tried turning the key in the ignition, but my car just wouldn't start-up. It didn't seem like a battery problem, because I could turn on the car-lights still. My car just remained un-start-able...and it looked pretty sad, ill and sorry for itself.

Then I started calling the tow-truck service...coz I didn't know any foreman I could call to come and take a look at my ailing car. (Didn't want to bother anyone else either). They took such a long time to come, that I was kinda frustrated... but anyway, they did finally arrive. The 2 men pushed my car from its parking spot, out of the car-park, coz the tow-truck was too tall to go into the basement. Haha.

Felt so embarrassed as many of the passers-by were watching...So much drama! I was also, very sorry for my poor car, as it was tilted onto the 'stretcher' of the 'car ambulance'.
My car was towed to a workshop... I had an adventurous ride in between the 2 truck people...in the truck. Didn't feel like I wanted to sit in my own car and be the centre of attention as it was towed along the streets of Penang.
It wasn't a battery problem that had to be remedied. Rather, the petrol pump and filter were rosak and had to be replaced. I was thankful that the cost of repairs did not go beyond RM400, which could have... Praise God, that the mechanic took pity on me, and fixed my car first, even though he was so busy with so many other cars. So, in a few hours time, I could go home. Had to miss half a day at work pulak.
I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in the shelter, nursing a headache (I think it's the sun this time), watching the mechanics crawl in, out, and under my car...to remove the whole petrol tank, change the pump and the filter...etc, etc. Managed to do a little reading too. Had time to sit and think too. Remembered God's amazing grace in every tricky situation I've encountered alone in the past 9 months of working with this job, and was comforted. Lost wallet (last Sept), car-crash, car-breakdown, etc. In fact, I was never really alone! Think such circumstances always remind me to repent, look to the Lord and trust Him.
Poor bear-bear. Must have been bewildered.
After the ordeal was over...and my car started up again. Thank God! (I was frowning coz the sun was too hot!) Phew... what a humbling experience...

Well, at least I didn't have to walk home... or fly back on a parachute... or something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*gasp* I didnt know you called the tow truck! I thought you said the foreman! :P wow...looks like we both have our fair share of towing this week eh? :P Glad to know it's not too much of a damage to the wallet & car. Hope you didn't really have to take 1/2 day off though... You should have called me. I could have come & get you and send you back to church first. Next time call me la.. haiyo! :)

Grace-Melody Moo said...

yalor...i tot they would come with the foreman...but nampaknya, the car had to be sent to the car-hospital so the mechanic could look at it...Sigh... yeah, the tow-truck... my baby looked like it was going to cry when they tilted him... and I felt so sum toong looking at it :S

 

Free Blog Counter